Friday, September 18, 2009

Curtains and Quilts

Last year, I decided, I was sick  of looking at all the curtains in the house, and it was time for a change. I have a very small house, but still  needed nine sets of drapes, and two picture window drapes.  I lined them all as it is good insulation in the winter.
My sister and friend love to yard sale,or as another friend says shopping at " sidewalk boutiques."  You could say this is our weekend entertainment. You would be surprised at how much new material you can find this way. Anything I buy I just throw it in the washing machine first, then I know it is clean and preshrunk. All my drapes have been made, from materials we picked up.
I usually line them with inexpensve white sheets from Wallmart. It is a lot cheaper than buying lining by the yard. Yard sales are also great for picking up used sewing machines. If you  know anything about the care of machines you can get some really great buys.
One of the last finds we bought, was a huge bolt of material, thet we devided between three of us.. We have all made at least one set of curtains each and used some for backing a quilt. I know I stilll have some of it around in my stash.

One of the last bolts of material we found, and split, I made my son's curtains and a quilt to match. It had boats and nautical scenes on it. The name of the quilt was Patience Corner. My son is very tall and I did not make it quite long enough, so I had to make several more blocks and add on to it.I didn't pull it apart, just attached another row on. I did it after this picture was taken.
At the same time I made another one for a nephew in West Virginia.

No comments:

Post a Comment